April 1, 2017 Spring Storm Warning: (13 Photos)
13. Just when we thought spring was on the way Mother Nature showed the province she had other plans. Although it was forecasted for the whole island to be walloped by snow and wind, Gander and central Newfoundland bore the worst of two Blizzards, one Friday March 31st and the second April 3rd.
Photo Credit: Randy Smith
12. Fergus's island Conception Bay. The two storms dumped 136cm of snow in Gander while us East Coasters received no snow Friday and about 20cm on Monday.
Photo Credit: Matthew French
11. The main side effect of these storms and the North East winds that persisted all week was that it blew all of the offshore Arctic ice flows onshore choking the coast and bays all along the Eastern half of the province. The Coast Guard ice breaker Henry Larsen had to be brought in to assist the Bell Island ferry all week.
10. Typical spring snow was followed immediately by freezing rain & rain which gave my Honda 9/28 a good workout.
8. Even St. John's Harbour was completely ice bound!
4. Conception Bay near Seal Cove.
2. By Thursday ice finally started to clear out of St. John's Harbour and with changing winds forecasted this weekend ice pressure should let up considerably all along the shore.
Copyright © 2011 Michael Smith