Summer 2006 Recreational Food Fishery: (22 Photos)
22. Earlier this summer, the federal Department of Fisheries and Oceans announced the re-opening of the recreational food fishery, something we haven't seen in our province since the tag system in 2001. Here is an excerpt of the release from D.F.O.:
The management measures for the 2006 Recreational Groundfish fishery are as follows:
21. This announcement sparked a lot excitement in our crew as we started fashioning hand lines, lures,Gaffs, and getting boats ready for the salt water.
20. Many of us hadn't been on the salt water in years or at all, and rarely had a chance to jig a cod like past generations of Newfoundlanders.
19. That year French and his cousin Matthew both launched aluminum boats down over the rocks in Portugal Cove to head out to the fishing grounds.
16. French and I made quite a few trips in his Honda powered 14' Princecraft Aluminum boat managing to catch our quota on most trips. Not only did we have to re-learn jigging, but also cleaning & filleting our catch as well.
15. We also made a couple trips in Sooley's larger Fibreglass speedboat launching it from the small craft marina in St. Phillip's.
1. This has been an awesome experience, one I hope D.F.O. will maintain in the future.
Copyright © 2011 Michael Smith