August 22, 2004 Squid Jigging: (17 Photos)
17. August is the time of year when Squid frequent the shores of our province, and 2004 was no different. This year they were unusually plentiful and a little larger then normal so the crew took advantage of this rare occurrence by spending a few evenings at the ferry terminal in Portugal Cove.
15. They are a lot of fun to catch, using an old rod and reel equipped with a special squid lure you can drop your line right off the wharf.
13. Some of the locals were wilder than the wildlife!
11. Reeling them in is just like dragging a wet sock through the water, and you have to watch yourself when they breech the surface as they spit water & black ink everywhere!
1. The crew did well managing a bucketful of squid by nights end, and definitely enjoyed being entertained by some crazy locals!
Copyright © 2011 Michael Smith